Upcoming Baptism on June 2nd!
Frequently Asked Questions about Baptism
How can I learn more about Baptism and what it means?
- We recommend you download this Baptism Packet that includes information and a short self study guide that will help you understand the purpose and significance of Baptism and whether or not this is the next step for you.
- Of course, if you have more questions or would like to meet with someone to discuss your questions in person, please email Baptism@Gatewaychurch.com to set up an appointment with a pastor.
- Below are some additional messages that will give additional perspective and insight:
Essential Elements | Grace
Why Do We Do That? | Worship & Communion
When and where is the next baptism?
- In general we do baptisms at Gateway three times throughout the year on a Sunday morning following each of our services or at our monthly worship service, Unplugged. WE try to schedule them consistently sometime around the end of April/beginning of May, sometime in July and sometime near the end of September/beginning of October.
- We celebrate as a church at both our McNeil Campus and our South campus.
- To find the exact dates, checkout our events calendar
Do I have to pre-register?
- No. Just come to the baptism area after any service on the baptism day.
- Many people will just decide on the spot to “go home wet” – they decide during the service that they want to be baptized, though they weren’t planning on it. We will have towels for those people.
What should I wear/bring?
- Please come ready to get wet. Men typically wear swim trunks and a shirt. Women typically wear a swimsuit with light-weight shorts & t-shirt over the top. Those who decide to “go home wet” will be baptized in whatever they’re wearing.
- Please invite friends & family to celebrate with you! Baptism at Gateway is a joyful event; friends often bring balloons or banners and we cheer loudly for everybody!
- Please leave your keys/cell phone with a friend.
- You do not need to bring your baptism self-study guide, unless you have questions.
- We have some towels, though please try to bring your own.
When should I come and what happens?
- Attend the service you normally go to. When it ends, go to the baptism area. We have baptisms after every service.
- Check-in where indicated. You’ll fill out a small information card, then be directed to someone who will pray with & for you. This person can also answer any last-minute questions. If you are ready to be baptized, you’ll then go into the pool where a Leader or Pastor will baptize you.
- Your friends & family are welcome to come with you for prayer. Most people go into the pool alone, though if you really want to have a friend go into the pool also, that’s fine.
Can my friend/parent/Small Group Leader baptize me?
- If you are involved in a Network, talk to your Network Leader for more information.
- If you are not involved in a Network, then it may be possible for someone else to baptize you. We suggest you have that person show up at the baptism area at least 25 minutes prior to the end of the service. They should come ready to get wet and they should bring a towel. This person needs to be a Christ-follower, who has been baptized, and we prefer that they are actively part of Gateway Church.
Can my child or infant be baptized?
- Please refer to the FAQ’s at KidsQuestOnline.com/Baptism.
Can I be baptized if I’m not a “member” of Gateway?
- Gateway doesn’t actually have “membership” – we are happy to baptize anyone who has made a decision to trust Christ.
- If you have a church home elsewhere, we do encourage you to be baptized there, surrounded by your church family. However, you are also welcome to be baptized here.
What about baptism for people who are part of the Internet Campus?
- If you are in the Austin area, we encourage you to join us for one of our three Baptism Sundays throughout the year.
- If you are not in Austin, we encourage you to find a church near you and celebrate Baptism with them or we can try to connect you with a church or other Christ followers in your area and celebrate with you where you are.
Can I be baptized in a lake/pool or at a time of my choosing?
- You can. The idea of Baptism is celebration and a public declaration of your decision to follow Christ. The important elements include your community of Christ followers who have been part of your journey and water. We encourage you to involve one of our Network leaders so that we as a church can celebrate with you and know what God is doing in our church. Email Baptism@GatewayChurch.com with questions and to connect with a network leader in your area.
I have limited mobility; can I be baptized?
- Yes, of course! Let us know your limitations and we will work to accommodate a celebration for you. Email Baptism@GatewayChurch.com
Can my friends/family/spouse be baptized alongside me?
- If you’re in the Austin area, we’d love to see you at either the McNeil or South Campus that Sunday.
- If you’re not in the Austin area, talk to Vince Marotte about other options. Contact Vince Marotte at Vince_Marotte@GatewayChurch.com to ensure that someone from the Internet Campus is there to greet you.
- We do baptisms off-campus through Small Groups, Networks & Geographies. Some of those events are held at lakes/steams/pools/etc.
- Talk to your Leader for more information.
- Yes, certainly! We’ve done baptism in many different ways. Contact 512-837-2162 to arrange something that works for you.
- Yes, certainly! Please come to the check-in area together.
If you have other questions, please call the church office at 512-837-2162 or talk to a Leader or Pastor you know.