SUPER BULL IV: HOPE FOR THE GAME OF LIFE
Imagine your team is down by 3 touchdowns at halftime of the Super Bowl. That’s a pretty hopeless feeling. Sometimes our entire life feels that way; we’ve fallen so far behind and don’t believe that we have what it takes to stay in the game. Where is God when we lose hope?
Work through the following questions and Scriptures on your own, and get together with your running partner, life group, or friends and family to talk through what you are learning.
1. Do you have a favorite sports team you root for? Share your favorite memory of attending a sporting event.
2. Eric talked about the danger of living in isolation. Have you ever found yourself desperate to have people around you who knew you and understood what you were experiencing and feeling?
3. Read 2 Timothy 4:16-18. Have you ever felt abandoned by someone you thought you could always count on? Why do you think that Paul was able to sincerely wish no ill against the people who let him down?
4. Do you believe that there can be a greater purpose in our suffering? Has there been someone in your life who has inspired you through their response to suffering?
5. Read Romans 8:18-24. Hope in a glorious future sounds great, but people are hurting and struggling right now. How do you draw hope from God’s promises to make everything new and restore us?
6. Justin said that people often lose hope in a better world because they lack hope in their own ability to change. What’s been the hardest thing you’ve ever changed – or tried to change – in your own life?
7. God is in the business of transforming us when we invite Him to play a bigger role in our lives. Is there an area of your life right now into which you need to invite God to be more active?
8. Hope can often feel elusive, yet the same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead lives within us as well, and there is no greater hope for our future! Whether you’re preparing to celebrate a big victory, or trying to understand a recent defeat, are there steps you can take in the weeks ahead to ground your hope in God’s promises to make all things – including you – new?
2 Timothy 4:16-18 – At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion’s mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
Romans 8:18-24 – Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will reveal to us later. For all creation is waiting eagerly for that future day when God will reveal who his children really are. Against its will, all creation was subjected to God’s curse. But with eager hope, the creation looks forward to the day when it will join God’s children in glorious freedom from death and decay. For we know that all creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. And we believers also groan, even though we have the Holy Spirit within us as a foretaste of future glory, for we long for our bodies to be released from sin and suffering. We, too, wait with eager hope for the day when God will give us our full rights as his adopted children, including the new bodies he has promised us. We were given this hope when we were saved.
As you begin to dig deeper into all it means to find your hope in God’s promises, perhaps you are also looking for ways to share that hope with others. Serving at Gateway is a great way to do just that! Consider how you can step out of anonymity and into community and begin to serve others with others. Check out the examples of volunteer opportunities below, and challenge yourself to get in the game!
Example ARTS Serving Opportunities:
- Stage Manager
- Hospitality Volunteer
- Gateway Worship Team (audition required)
- North Vocal/Band Auditions: February 13th at 6:30 p.m.
- Production Volunteer Example
- For more information, go to gatewaychurch.com/arts
Example GUEST SERVICES Serving Opportunities:
- Parking Team
- Hospitality Example
NEXTGEN Serving Opportunities:
- Small Group Leader
- Mid-Week Admin. Support
- Production Volunteer
- Host, tech support, storyteller, worship leader (audition required)
For more information on any of the serving opportunities listed above, or for others not listed (varies by location), please go to STARTING GATE after any Gateway service, or email your Gateway location at firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org
SPIRITUAL OUTCOMES: gatewaychurch.com/spiritual_outcomes/trust-god