Gateway North, Branson & Online
Moms hold our world together in so many ways, and because of that, it can be a challenge to hold together themselves. For Mother’s day, we’re focusing on some encouragement and guidance that can help moms care well for themselves as they continue to care for those around them.
This week’s Next Steps focus on moms but are applicable to all who find themselves caring for others or who are holding a lot together. Work through the following questions on your own, and get together with your running partner, Life Group, or friends and family around the dinner table to talk through what you’re learning!
- What positive impact has your mom and/or other women had in your own life? Make the effort to share that with them today! If you’re working through these questions in a group, take a moment to celebrate the women in the group with encouraging words about what you appreciate about them.
- Have you ever had a season, maybe it’s now, where you had far too much on your plate? What effect did it have on you physically, spiritually and emotionally?
- Read Psalm 127:1-2. With what areas of your life can you trust God more so that you’ll be able to emotionally drop them into the “good enough” category? Where can you take the pressure off yourself (clean the house, cook some meals, put away the kid’s clothes, etc.)?
- Read Luke 10:38-42. How can you create 3 times this week just to be alone with God, “sitting at His feet” and learning from Him? This may take some creativity, but plan some time that will truly allow you to focus on God and do something you believe will fill you up. One idea is to go through the spiritual outcomes related to this message listed in the Digging Deeper section.
- Read Galatians 6:2. What is one ask you can make to someone in your life to help you thrive, and not just survive, as a mom right now? What could you ask of your friends, your spouse, and/or your kids to lighten your load (run an errand for you, do homework with the kids, empty the dishwasher, etc.)?
- Is there another mom or someone in your season-of-life that you look up to and with whom you get to spend time? What steps can you make towards cultivating these relationships, perhaps in a Life Group or other interest groups?
- For those who aren’t Moms: What is one area where you can help carry the burden that is currently placed on the mom in your life? What is a way you can take some time to allow the mom in your life to relax and enjoy time to herself?
Psalm 127:1-2 — Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Luke 10:38-42 — Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”
Galatians 6:2 — Carry each other’s burdens and in this you will fulfill the law of Christ.
LADIES NIGHT OUT — TUESDAY, MAY 24TH, @ 7 PM
Ladies, we can make a huge difference in this world through prayer! Come learn more and enjoy a Ladies’ movie night as we watch the film “The War Room” in the Garage. It will be a great evening of fun, encouragement and challenge. We’ll serve coffee and light snacks. Space is limited so make sure to RSVP at GatewayChurch.com/Women. You can find out about other women’s opportunities and Life Groups there too.
SPIRITUAL GROWTH PATH
Did you know you can now track your progress working through the outcomes we include in Next Steps right on Gateway’s website?! Go to Spiritual Growth Path and create an account. You’ll get access to Spiritual Fitness Checks and training with the spiritual outcomes.
Spiritual Outcomes – Trust God, Relate to God, & Serve
- Learn more about relying on God for every aspect of your life by working through the TRUST GOD outcome.
- Learn more about taking time to spend with God by working through the RELATE TO GOD outcome.
- Learn more about meeting the spiritual and physical needs of others, like the mom in your life, by working through the SERVE outcome.
BIBLE APP by YOU VERSION
If you’ve yet to do so, we encourage you to download the Bible App by YouVersion on your smart phone. Create a free YouVersion account under Settings. Tap Plans > Discover > Search: Outreach New Testament > Start Plan. Then you can read along each day with us!