GATEWAY NORTH, BRANSON & ONLINE
Sunday, July 10th — Vince Antonucci — God for the Rest of Us
Many people have come to a point where they believe that IF there is a God, IF he’s offering a relationship, IF he brings some people to Heaven when they die, he wouldn’t for me. His attitude towards me would be, in the words of Alanis Morissette, “But you, you’re not allowed, you’re uninvited.” Perhaps you feel that way because you’ve walked away from God or because of things you’ve done. But here’s Jesus, who claims to be God, and he’s saying, “Come to me.”
Work through the following questions on your own, and get together with your running partner, Life Group or friends and family around the dinner table to talk through what you’re learning!
- Have you ever had a time when you were “uninvited” or felt that way? Have you ever felt that way about God?
- Read Luke 7:36-50. What does this story say about coming to Jesus? Was the prostitute invited to this party? Had she done anything in the eyes of the Pharisees to be invited? How did Jesus respond to her?
- Do you worry about what others think? Are you hiding things from God thinking that he’ll “uninvite” you if you opened up about them? What does this story tell you about that?
- Have you ever felt like you were in a similar situation as the prostitute at the Pharisee’s house? How did you feel? Knowing now how Jesus responded to her, what will your response to Jesus be?
- Read Matthew 11:28-29. Are you weary and burdened? Have you taken Jesus’ advice? If so, what has changed in your life? Are you finding rest? If so, how? If not, why not?
- Have you felt the need to manipulate others, even God, into wanting you? How does it make you feel that you don’t have to do that with God? How will your week be different knowing that God is for you?
Matthew 11:28-29 — “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
Matthew 21:31b-32 — Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him.
Luke 7:47-50 — “Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”
Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”
The other guests began to say among themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?”
Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”
BIBLE APP by YOU VERSION
If you’ve yet to do so, we encourage you to download the Bible App by YouVersion on your smart phone. Create a free YouVersion account. Tap Plans > Discover > Search: Outreach New Testament > Start Plan. Then you can read along each day with us!
Read, Study & Meditate This Week on Hosea, Chapters 1-3
SPIRITUAL GROWTH PATH
Did you know you can now track your progress working through the outcomes we include in Next Steps right on Gateway’s website?! Go to Spiritual Growth Path and create an account. You’ll get access to Spiritual Fitness Checks and training with the spiritual outcomes.
Spiritual Outcomes – Relate to God & New Creation
Toward the end of his earthly life, Jesus wanted his closest followers to know how much he valued them, “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you” (John 15:15).
Learn more about relating to God by working through the Relate to God outcome.
We’ve heard the phrase, “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks.” It comes up when we see a person stuck in their ways. The calling of Scripture is not to change but to die, and to then experience a new life in Christ. Paul wrote, “I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live but Christ lives in me” (Galatians 2:20).
Learn more about being a new creation by working through the New Creation outcome.