10 COMMITMENTS THAT LAST
Work through the following questions and scriptures on your own or get together with your group, spiritual running partners, or family to talk through what you are learning.
- What is the biggest commitment you have made in your life? What is required of you to keep this commitment and how have you done with it?
- What stood out to you from the message?
- Carlos is making 10 commitments to the church. These commitments are based on how God has designed us to be and how Jesus instructed us to live in unity in order to show what He is like and lead others to Him. These commitments are not just for Carlos to keep, but for us as well. Examine your own heart in light of these commitments (adjusted to fit us as a church). Which ones are you faithfully walking out and which ones are you struggling to walk out?
1) Commitment to love the Lord my God with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength. (Deut. 6:5)
2) Commitment to love my neighbor as myself.
3) Commitment to following Carlos as he follows God’s leading and vision for our church.
4) Commitment to submit to the teaching of Scripture in an uncompromising and bold way.
5) Commitment to continue reaching those who are exploring God.
6) Commitment to walking in submission with those God has placed in our leadership
7) If married: Commitment to love my wife/husband and my family as a matter of first priority. If Single: commitment to honoring God in my singleness and trusting Him for His plans for my life.
8) Commitment to living a life of integrity and character in all aspects of my life
9) Commitment to modeling humility and having a teachable spirit.
10) Commitment to grow as a leader.
4. Read Ephesians 2:1-10 and answer the following questions:
Make some observations about this passage (What does the text say?):
- Who is talking?
- What is the circumstance?
- Any repeated phrases?
- What surprised you?
- What stood out to you?
Make some interpretations (What does the passage mean?)
- What questions do you have?
- Summarize the passage in 1-3 sentences – what are the main points?
- What do you learn about the nature and character of God as you read this?
- What do you learn about yourself and your choices?
Now make some applications (what’s my response?)
- How do you respond to what you are reading?
- How does this apply to your life?
- What is the central truth that you could put into practice from this?
- Who could you share this with for the sake of encouragement?
5. Are you walking in the way that Paul urged the Ephesians to walk? In what area do you want the Lord to work in that you might walk more fully in this way?
Ephesians 2:1-10 As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins,in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Using the commitments above, spend time in intercessory prayer. Pray for Carlos and for the church at large to be faithful to these commitments and that we would rely on Jesus (the head of the church) to carry this out. you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
TAKE A NEXT STEP
- Commit to praying for these commitments for Carlos and for yourself as you seek to live this out.
- Confess to your group or Spiritual running partners the areas you struggle to commit to and invite them to keep you accountable to living them out.
- For a deeper dive into the practice of intercession, consider working through the Intercession Outcome: https://www.gatewaychurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Intercession-final.pdf
FOR THE PARENTS
Hey, families! Here’s a look at what we’re covering with your kids so you can help them continue to grow at home during the week.
This week, kids learn about Jesus’ promise of the Holy Spirit.
- THE BIBLE: Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit: John 14:15-21
- THE BIG IDEA: Anyone can do great things for God.
Because sometimes you and your kid need a conversation-starter that isn’t,
“So . . . how was church?”
- How would you explain to someone the mission Jesus has given you?
- What is one thing you can do this week that will help you carry out your mission?
This month, your kids are memorizing the Bible verse
2 Timothy 1:7 (NIV), in case you want to work on them together.
Preschool: “For the Spirit…gives us power, love and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7
Elementary: “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7
Next week, kids learn about the time Jesus went up to Heaven.