EXPLORE THE BIBLE
As school is set to start, let’s go back to the basics. In this series, we discover what it looks like to explore God and be rooted in the fundamentals of the Christian faith. We use the 5 key concepts of Gateway Kids as a guide to awaken child-like wonder in following Jesus together. The Bible was not written to everyone, but it was written for everyone.
Work through the following questions and scriptures on your own, and get together with your running partner, life group, or friends and family to talk through what you are learning.
- What is your relationship like with the Bible? Is it familiar to you? Do you read it as a way to spend time with God? Or, maybe you’ve never cracked it open and don’t know where to start?
- If you do read the Bible, how do you approach reading it?
- What stood out to you from the message?
4. Read 1 Timothy 3:16-17.
Make some observations about this passage (What does the text say?):
- What do you notice and what are you curious about?
Make some interpretations (What does the passage mean?)
- What do we learn about God here?
- What do we learn about people?
Now make some applications (what’s my response?)
- How are you encouraged, challenged, or convicted by this passage?
- What needs to change in your life in order to live this out?
5. Read Psalm 119:9-11.
- How does the psalmist view God’s Word?
- What do you think is required to hide God’s word in our hearts?
- What role does Scripture play in keeping your life pure, that is, turning from sin toward God and His desires for your life?
6. Read Luke 24:27 (Jesus speaking with two disciples after His resurrection) and Luke 24:44-47 (Jesus dining with the twelve disciples after His resurrection).
- How did Jesus interpret the Scriptures (what we know as the Old Testament)?
- Do you read the Bible with this interpretation? If you haven’t, how might reading it this way make a difference in your understanding?
7. What is a next step you can take in making Scripture more central in your life and relationship with Jesus? How can your community help you in this?
1 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Psalm 119:9-11 How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word. I have tried hard to find you— don’t let me wander from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
Slowly read through this portion of Psalm 119, pausing after a few verses to respond in prayer.
How can a young person stay pure?
By obeying your word.
I have tried hard to find you—
don’t let me wander from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
Oh, how I love your instructions!
I think about them all day long.
Your commands make me wiser than my enemies,
for they are my constant guide.
Your word is a lamp to guide my feet
and a light for my path.
- A great way to grow in your understanding of Scripture while growing in community is to join one of our Grow classes (now called GatewayU groups) beginning this month! You can register here: https://www.gatewaychurch.com/grow/
- Consider challenging yourself to read through the entire New Testament, or if you have done that, to read through the entire Bible in a year. You can find a variety of reading plans on the YouVersion Bible app.
- Another resource to help you on your journey of reading scripture is to use the Bible Project app, which has videos, reading guides and podcasts.
FOR THE PARENTS
This week, kids hear about our first Key Concept: Explore the Bible!
THE BIBLE: 2 Timothy 3:16
The Bible is a book all about God, His Son Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. The Bible has thousands of stories in it about God’s people. It tells us all about
God’s great love for us and how He wants us to live because of that love. We can do our best to model reading the Bible by helping kids learn to navigate scripture with confidence, encouraging them to ask questions, and helping them to see how every part of the story points us back to God’s character and His plan to save the world through Jesus.
THE BIG IDEA: I can explore the Bible on my own.
Because sometimes you and your kid need a conversation starter that isn’t, “So . . . how was church?”
Why do you think God gave us the Bible?
What are some small steps we can take to read the Bible on our own or as a family more often?
We have a different memory verse every week in this series! This week, your kids are memorizing the Bible verse: 2 Timothy 3:16 – in case you want to work on them together.
Preschool: “All Scripture is God-breathed …”
Elementary: “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives”
Next week, we’ll explore the second Key Concept: Know Jesus!