MOVE FORWARD WITH COURAGE
Bad people make bad choices that affect us.
Work through the following questions and scriptures on your own, and get together with your running partner, life group, or friends and family to talk through what you are learning.
1. What is the most courageous thing you’ve ever done?
2. Take the time to read through all of Daniel 2 and answer the following questions:
-How does Daniel show courage in this chapter?
-What enables Daniel to be courageous?
-How does God show up?
-What happens as a result of Daniel’s courage?
3. Read James 1:2-8 and answer the following questions:
◦ Make some observations about this passage (What does the text say):
▪ Who is talking?
▪ What is the circumstance?
▪ Any repeated phrases?
▪ What surprised you?
▪ What stood out to you?
◦ Make some interpretations (What does the passage mean)
▪ What questions do you have?
▪ Summarize the passage in 1-3 sentences – what are the main points?
▪ What do you learn about the nature and character of God as you read this?
▪ What do you learn about yourself and your choices?
◦ Now make some applications (what’s my response)
▪ How do you respond to what you are reading?
▪ How does this apply to your life?
▪ What is the central truth that you could put into practice from this?
▪ Who could you share this with for the sake of encouragement?
4. Where do you currently need to walk in godly courage? Are you asking God for wisdom to do this? Take some time to pray through Daniel’s prayer (1:20-23), asking God to give you the wisdom and courage to walk into difficult situations, so that you might be faithful to God through them.
James 1:2-8 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.
TAKE A NEXT STEP
- Obedience to God takes great courage in a world that walks contrary to His ways. Take the time to work through the Obey God outcome to help strengthen your courage to humbly and confidently walk in obedience in your daily life. https://www.gatewaychurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Obey-God-Outcome-writable-final.pdf
FOR THE PARENTS
Hey, families! Here’s a look at what we’re covering with your kids so you can help them continue to grow at home during the week.
This week, kids hear about how Jesus began his ministry by calling the right people to work together with him.
- THE BIBLE: God makes us ready at the right time.
- THE BIG IDEA: Matthew 4:12-23
Because sometimes you and your kid need a conversation-starter that isn’t,
“So . . . how was church?”
- What are some ways we might know that it’s the right time for something?
- Can you think of one way to prepare for anything God might call you to do?
This month, your kids are memorizing the Bible verse
Matthew 6:33 (NIV), in case you want to work on them together.
EC: “But seek first his kingdom…” Matthew 6:33a
Elem: “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:33 (NIV)
Next week, kids will hear about Jesus being tempted in the wilderness and how he overcame.