TAKE SOME PEACE
Anxiety, worry, and panic attacks remain constant threats in so many of our lives. When we find ourselves needing a way out, God offers “a peace that surpasses understanding.” When we discover peace with God, we can live life without condemnation. As a result, the worries and anxieties of what others think about us and even what we think about ourselves can fade away knowing how God feels about us. Discover how God’s gift of peace can overwhelm and replace your anxiety.
Work through the following questions and scriptures on your own, and get together with your running partner, life group, or friends and family to talk through what you are learning.
1. How do you describe peace?
2. What stood out to you from the message?
3. Read Matthew 11:25-30.
- Make some observations about this passage (What does the text say):
• Who is talking? What is the circumstance?
• Any repeated phrases?
• What surprised you?
• What stood out to you?
b.) Make some interpretations (What does the passage mean)
• What questions do you have?
• Summarize the passage in 1-3 sentences – what are the main points?
• What do you learn about the nature and character of God as you read this?
• What do you learn about yourself or the world around you?
c.) Now make some applications (what’s my response)
• How do you respond to what you are reading?
• How could this apply to your life today?
• What is the central truth that you could put into practice from this?
• Who could you share this with for the sake of encouragement?
4. In Matthew 11:29 Jesus says, “Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Do you believe that God is gentle at heart and wants to offer you rest for your soul? Why or why not?
5. Read John 14:27. What can we learn about spiritual peace from the promise Jesus gave his disciples? When facing a troubled heart/inner soul, what part(s) of you get attacked (Your dreams, your marriage, your “demons” of life, your past pain/failures, etc?)?
6. Read Matthew 6:27. The end of John 14:27 says, ”do not let your heart be troubled and do not be afraid”. Our fear is supposed to be something we listen to, process, take action steps to face, but God is greater than our fears. In relationship with God and community, He will equip you to be more than your fears and worries. Do you have a current/ongoing issue that regularly overtakes you with fear/ worry and steals your peace? How have you tried to manage that? How have you let God into it?
Matthew 11:25-30 At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do. “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
Matthew 6:27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
1. We are not meant to do life alone. God most often grows us, encourages us, and challenges us through other people. If you don’t have a community that is seeking Jesus around you right now we have 2 spaces we would encourage you to connect into community.
a. Alpha – Alpha is designed primarily for those who would not call themselves Christians or those who are new to faith. It’s an open, informal, and honest space to explore and discuss life’s big questions together.
Find an Alpha group today: gatewaychurch.com/alpha
b. Community and Life Groups – In community groups you will get to Belong in a community, Encounter Jesus and Learn to live life on purpose. In a life group you will Mature in Community, Deepen your relationship with Jesus, and learn to Develop others on purpose.
Find a Community/ Life Group- gatewaychurch.com/get-connected