A SUPERNATURAL COMMUNITY
As we step into the community God desires for us, we also find that God gives those who follow Him great gifts. And when we allow the Holy Spirit to use those gifts to serve others, those gifts sometimes show up in supernatural ways. How can we begin to better understand God’s giftings and how He intends for us to use them in community?
Work through the following questions and Scriptures on your own, and get together with your running partner, life group, or friends and family to talk through what you are learning.
1. Have you ever had someone call out a talent or gift they see in you that you felt particularly resistant to? What was the gift, and what do you think led to your resistance about it?
2. After last week’s message, or from exploring the topic in the past, have you been able to identify any of your spiritual gifts? If so, what are they, and how have you seen them used in your life? Have you recently (or ever) seen strong evidence of a spiritual gift in someone close to you? If so, share about that experience.
3. Have you ever witnessed a spiritual gift work in a supernatural way (a time when it was evident that the person with the gift could not be responsible for the result at hand; one that doesn’t naturally happen in other realms of life)? If so, what was that experience like? If not, how do you imagine experiences like that might affect you and your community?
4. Read 1 Corinthians 12:24-27. God makes it clear in this passage that no gift is more important than any other gift. All gifts are important and useful, and this equality of gifts helps unify our community. Have you ever felt like a gift you had wasn’t as important or noteworthy as someone else’s? How can you combat such perceptions?
5. Read 1 Thessalonians 5:19-22. Gifts can be used for good or evil, and some people can use gifts for selfish reasons. God warns us to be aware of this. Have you ever witnessed the appearance of misuse of supernatural gifts? How did that misuse affect you or others in your life?
6. Read 1 Corinthians 12:1-6. What’s your next step in discovering and developing God’s gifts and using them to build up His church? This week, pray and ask God to help you discover your gifts. Consider taking a spiritual gifts tests, if you haven’t already, ask close friends, family, and community to speak into gifts they may have observed in you, and also consider attending Gateway’s Hearing God or Advance workshops. As God helps you discover your gifts, share your findings with your Life Group, running partners, friends, or family.
1 Corinthians 12:24-27 – God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it
1 Thessalonians 5:19-22 – Do not treat prophecies with contempt but test them all; hold on to what is good, reject every kind of evil.
1 Corinthians 12:1-6 – Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed…There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.
As you look to dig deeper into the topics of this week’s message, consider checking out one of our upcoming workshops that will help you explore your gifts.
Go to gatewaychurch.com/northevents or gatewaychurch.com/south for more info or to register.
Also consider checking out the book the You Belong Here series is based on, called Not Like Me, written by Gateway’s South Campus Pastor, Eric Bryant.
Not Like Me is for sale in the lobbies of Gateway’s Austin locations (at a discounted price), as well as on Amazon.com.
To follow along with the You Belong Here series, this week’s bonus reading from Not Like Me is Chapter 4, Chapter 5, and the Conclusion.
SPIRITUAL OUTCOMES— gatewaychurch.com/spiritual_outcomes/spiritual-gifts