As school is set to start, let’s go back to the basics. In this series, we discover what it looks like to explore God and be rooted in the fundamentals of the Christian faith. Engaging in healthy community can, and should, be a spiritual habit we develop. Whether it is a church, at home, or at school, everyone wants to know that they have a place to belong!
Work through the following questions and scriptures on your own, and get together with your running partner, life group, or friends and family to talk through what you are learning.
- Share about a group or place where you wanted to belong, but couldn’t. Why was that?
- Share about an experience where you found a deep sense of belonging. What enabled this experience?
- What stood out to you from the message?
- Read Acts 2:42-47 about the practices of the early church after they received the Holy Spirit.
A. Make some observations about this passage (What does the text say?):
- What do you notice and what are you curious about?
B. Make some interpretations (What does the passage mean?)
- What activities did this early community participate in? What was the byproduct?
C. Now make some applications (what’s my response?)
- How are you encouraged, challenged, or convicted by this passage?
- What should be our response to this passage?
5. Read Hebrews 10:23-25.
- What is the “hope we profess”?
- What does it look like to “spur one another on toward love and good deeds”? Do you currently do this with others?
- The author of Hebrews urges this community that is struggling to keep going in their faith amidst persecution to “not give up meeting together”. Are you in the habit of gathering regularly with other believers?
- Why is belonging to a group of believers essential to the flourishing of the church and your own faith?
6. What is your next step in pursuing community where you can know and be known by others in greater measure?
ACTS 2:42-47 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
HEBREWS 10:23-25 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
At Gateway, it is our desire that we would be a church of groups, meaning that everyone that calls Gateway home is actively participating in a community where they experience a sense of belonging. This can be found in a Belong, Heal, Grow or Serve group. Spend time praying for each of these groups and that more and more people would experience spiritual growth through being a part of one. If you are not yet a part of a group. Pray for guidance as to where God wants you to find belonging.
TAKE A NEXT STEP
- Try a group! https://www.gatewaychurch.com/groups/
- If you are a part of a group, challenge yourself to invite someone to join yours!
FOR THE FAMILY
Hey, families! Here’s a look at what we’re covering with your kids so you can help them continue to grow at home during the week.
This week, kids hear about our fourth Key Concept: You Belong!
THE BIBLE: Luke 18:15-17
THE MESSAGE: Jesus welcomes us ALL to belong in His family. He delights in welcoming little ones into His family too. As we explore the concept of belonging with our kids, we want them to know that as part of God’s family they will always have a place to call home and a group of people who will know them, love them and challenge them to grow. We also want to encourage them to invite others in to experience the same sense of belonging!
THE BIG IDEA: I belong in God’s family.
Because sometimes you and your kid need a conversation-starter that isn’t,
“So . . . how was church?”
How does Jesus show His love for us?
What does it mean to belong in God’s family?
We have a different memory verse every week in this series! This week, your kids are memorizing the Bible verse:
Mark 10:14, in case you want to work on them together.
Preschool: “Let the children come to me…”
Elementary: “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children.”
Next week, we’ll explore the fifth Key Concept: Change Your World!