FROM VERBAL AND PHYSICAL ABUSE
Abuse in our society is widespread but often remains a hidden wound for so many. We want to be healed, to live in God’s compassion and grace, but this menace of secret pain continues to flow under the current of everything we do. Even if you have not experienced this type of wound, you likely know or live with someone who has. We can’t escape the effects. We find ourselves or those we love chained, deeply hurt, and separated from the freedom God wants to provide. How can we discover the wholeness that God has for us? How can we share it with those around us who desperately need to hear? During this series, God Heals You, we will seek to learn from experts and hear stories about those who have found this healing from God.
Work through the following questions and Scriptures on your own, and get together with your running partner, life group, or friends and family to talk through what you are learning.
1. Just as in the hit show, This Is Us, television often tries to describe how our family of origin affects who we are and how we interact with others. What TV show best illustrates how you grew up? How did it parallel to what you experienced?
2. What stood out/intrigued you most from this message?
3. How does what you heard affect your life right now (maybe it speaks to something you are going through, struggling with, looking into, etc.)?
4. What challenged you or made you shift your thinking?
5. What is your next step to apply what you heard?
6. Is there someone you feel prompted to share with about what you’ve learned from the message?
1 Corinthians 12:24-26 – … while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. (NIV)
1 Thessalonians 5:11 – Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. (NIV)
1 John 4:17-18 – This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. (NIV)
1 Corinthians 13:4-5 – Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. (NIV)
Ephesians 5:21 – Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. (NIV)
Circle of Healing Class (Gateway Church North Campus)
The Circle of Healing class offers straight answers by examining the psychological components of various types of abuse, pointing victims of domestic violence towards wholeness and freedom
Visit gatewaychurch.com/restore to find out more and register.
SPIRITUAL OUTCOMES— gatewaychurch.com/spiritual_outcomes/new-creation/