ROOTED IN LOVE
Why do we desire love so much? And, why do we often misinterpret love and accept something less that leads to all kinds of hurt and disappointment? We find ourselves being manipulated into aiming our desire at the wrong target, and as a result, end up being robbed of the very thing we desire. What is God’s plan for love? How can we receive it? How can we share it with others? How can we find ourselves deeply rooted in love?
Work through the following questions and Scriptures on your own, and get together with your running partner, life group, or friends and family to talk through what you are learning.
1. Ever wish you could fly first class thinking it would change the way you see air travel? And, maybe for some of you, you have had a chance to fly first class. If you have, how did that experience make you feel? How did it affect your experience when you had to fly coach again?
2. Read John 3:16-17. In the message, what did the speaker share as being the Good News? Do you have to do anything to earn it, deserve it, fight for it, prove worthiness for it, or jump through religious hoops for it? Why does it seem difficult that we simply have to believe and receive it?
3. Read Ephesians 3:6-11. What do you know of the differences between Jew and Gentile? Can that relate to differences we see in our society today? How does that fit into what is written here about God’s plan for the Good News of Jesus to be for everyone equally?
4. Read Galatians 3:28. When we choose our identity “in Christ,” how should we relate to others? How can we respect our differences, celebrate our diversities in a way that unites us instead of allowing evil to pit us against each other?
5. Read Ephesians 3:12-19. This passage share’s Paul’s prayer for the Ephesians. Have you ever experienced this kind of deeply rooted love from God? As a child of God, do you know you have access to this kind of love? Share your thoughts with your life group or running partner. Spend some time praying that each person can experience this deeply rooted love of God that was God’s plan for the world all along.
John 3:16-17 – For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. (NIV)
Ephesians 3:6-11 – This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus. I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of his power. Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ, and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things. His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms, according to his eternal purpose that he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord.(NIV)
Galatians 3:28 – There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Ephesians 3:12-19 – In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence. I ask you, therefore, not to be discouraged because of my sufferings for you, which are your glory. For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge —that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
SPIRITUAL OUTCOMES— gatewaychurch.com/spiritual_outcomes/relate-to-god/